YOUR BRAIN ON MUSIC...
Here are ten good reasons for starting music lessons now, as an adult:
Playing Music Is Good For You…
- It’s good for your brain. You see neuroplasticity at work as you build new networks among your brain cells.
- It’s good for your body. Depending on what instrument you choose, you can keep your hands limber, your core strong, and your lungs in good working order.
- It’s something you can enjoy with others. You can join a band, sit in on a jam session, or play around with your family and friends.
- It’s something you can enjoy alone. Playing music beats TV when you’re not up for socializing.
- It’s a great springboard for creativity. You can use your new musical skills as inspiration for songwriting, composition, or video projects.
…and you’re better equipped to enjoy it now anyway.
- You have more patience now, and definitely a better attention span than a kid.
- You have better coordination now, which makes it easier to learn some technical skills.
- You can value the process of learning over the product of performance. No worries about scholarships or contests. You don’t ever have to perform if you don’t want to.
- You understand the value of practice. You’ve chosen to invest your time and money, and you know it’s worth it.
- You can choose the music you like and want to learn. You know what you like and how to ask for help playing it.
- From Soundscape Music Therapy